Sunday, February 15, 2009

How we met (Loyd's version)

So technically... we met in a singles ward.

Yeah. So cliche.


About five years ago, we were both living in the Raintree apartments in Provo. However, we only spoke to each other a couple times. Once was in church where she was trying to disagree with a comment I made in Sunday school (she was soooo wrong). The other time was at a small gathering in my apartment. I remember her telling me that she was studying history and thinking, "Wow. Smart and beautiful... Way out of my league." I dejectedly decided to not pursue her.

What I didn't realize was that she was totally infatuated with me after that moment, and even came over to my apartment to see me, but gave up as I was never home (I was both going to school and working fulltime and turned completely anti-social at the time).

We soon both moved away and a year went by.

And another year.

In the fall of 2006, I noticed someone flagging me down in the hall at school. It was Angela - apparently she had not been able to get me out of her mind after a few years. We chatted for a few seconds before her class, and then she came by my office to talk with me some more later. After those few minutes, I knew I had to take her out. I asked her for her number, and then called her the next day to take treat her to some dinner and a late-night walk (she rejected the latter, and instead exchanged it for a movie at my place and some late night... talking).

That date led to another, which led to another, which led to another, which led to us breaking up 3 months later.

We unsuccessfully tried the friend thing over and over again for about 8 months and then decided to just make a complete break from each other.

Well... Angela just couldn't say goodbye, and in January of last year (after a few awkward encounters), she sent me a little text to talk. We had a lunch at school, played catch-up for the previous four months, and left with the decision that it was best to just part ways again.

Well, it turned out neither of us wanted to say goodbye, and a few days later we decided that we just enjoyed each other's company too much. A few weeks later we were dating again. A few months later we were in love and strongly considering a life together. And here we are now planning a summer wedding in the Jordan River Temple.

A crazy ride, but I don't know if I would have it any other way. I love her so much and am excited to have our story continue on forever.

5 comments:

  1. Cute post. I love how your narcissism comes out in the post too. It makes for a good chuckle. Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Sounds like you were meant to be together. I wish you happiness and joy. You both deserve it. And Loyd you will someday publish that book. And then another. You have talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loyd, Your dorkiness knows no bounds. But i still love you.

    -Your favorite former roommate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to read the blog of first anniversary reflections- from both of you.
    D/ La Jolla

    ReplyDelete